Photo: Courtesy BCARS HP023602
Fire Chief’s have always had to get
to a fire as quickly possible, and a buggy was ideal transportation.
"Chief’s buggies", as they were always known,
were civilian "runabouts". They were ideal since
the average Chief wanted it to "runabout" as fast
as it could! Probably built in Victoria in the 1890s, this
buggy has been kept in repair since then and was restored
in the 1960s by George White. It will soon be restored again
in it’s original white with gold pinstriping.
This photo shows two retired Chiefs both of whom served during
the volunteer era. Thomas Deasy (driving, on the left) was
Chief from 1887-1901 and certainly would have driven the rig
in service; and Joseph Wriglesworth, (seated on the right)
was Chief Engineer (Chief) from 1875-1877.
Text: David Parker, Historian/Curator,